Check out these amazing recipes coordinated with the ingredients in this week's Organic Fruit & Vegetable basket.
To sign up for a Weekly or Bi-weekly Organic Basket click here https://www.gdorganics.com/book-online
This Week's Ingredients
Butter Lettuce, (In Large & Jumbo baskets)
Cantaloupe (In the Jumbo baskets)
Braeburn Apples, Extra Fancy
Sweet Potato Broccolini Sheet Pan Hash
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
3 stalks broccolini, sliced in large pieces. Double the amount if thin stalks.
½ red onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
2 ounces cubed pancetta, or two slices bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Place the potatoes, broccolini, onions, and garlic on a small sheet pan. Drizzle on the olive oil along with a few pinches each of salt and black pepper and toss to coat. Distribute the pancetta or bacon around the pan.
Put the pan in the oven on the middle rack and roast for 10-15 minutes. Toss the contents and put back into the oven. Roast for an additional 10 minutes. The potatoes should be browning slightly, and soft, and the pancetta will be crispy.
Crack the eggs directly onto the sheet pan. Put back into the oven, and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes, depending on how well-done you like your eggs to be.
Remove from the oven and top with a handful of sliced green onions and a few dashes of hot sauce. Salt additionally as needed. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
SWISS CHARD WITH TOMATOES
1 lb red swiss chard or 1 lb green swiss chard
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup soft fresh breadcrumb
1 clove garlic, minced
2 small tomatoes, I use italian tomatoes,seeded and diced
¼ teaspoon salt
● Trim coarse leaves and thick center ribs from chard; cut tender stems and leaves into 1/2-inch slices.
● Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet; add bread crumbs; cook, stirring often, until crisp and golden; remove from skillet and set aside.
● Cool skillet slightly; add remaining oil and garlic; cook, stirring, 2 minutes; add chard and cook until wilted, 1-2 minutes; add tomatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes to taste.
● Remove from heat and sprinkle bread crumbs over the top.
ROASTED CARROTS AND MUSHROOMS
prep time 15 MINUTES cook time 30 MINUTES total time 45 MINUTES
Cooked carrots don't get much respect, but I promise that these thyme-seasoned Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms are amazing.
● 4 large carrots
● 16 oz mushrooms
● 2 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
● 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (see notes)
● salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
● fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
● Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
● Peel carrots if desired. Cut carrots on diagonal into slices about 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick.
● Toss carrots with 1 T olive oil, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
● Spread carrots on large roasting pan that you sprayed or brushed with a little olive oil. (The pan should be big enough that the carrots are in a single layer).
● Roast carrots 15 minutes.
● While carrots are roasting, wash mushrooms (if needed) and spin dry or dry with paper towels. Slice mushrooms into even slices, slightly thicker than carrots.
● Using the same bowl as you tossed the carrots in, toss mushrooms with 1 1/2 T of olive oil.
● Remove carrots from oven, stir, add mushrooms and roast 10-15 minutes more.
● Serve hot, sprinkled with fresh parsley if using.
I used 4 medium-sized organic carrots which was about one pound of carrots.
If you have fresh thyme I would use about 1 tablespoon fresh thyme.
Banana and apple 'pancakes'
4 large Chicken Eggs
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1. Peel the bananas and mash them using a fork in a mixing bowl
2. Next core the apple and grate it into your banana mixture
3. Crack the eggs into the bowl and mix them all together
4. Heat a frying pan (or two if you want to make them more quickly) and add a small amount of coconut oil into each pan
5. Use a spoon to drop the mixture into the pan. You should be able to get 3-4 pancakes in each pan. Use the back of the spoon to flatten the pancakes so that they are thin and round
6. Allow the pancakes to cook for a minute, or until they are golden brown on one side and easy to turn over using a spatula. Turn and allow to cook for another minute until the second side is also golden brown
7. Once cooked remove from the pan and continue to cook the rest of the mixture in the same way. Once removed from the pan you can stack the pancakes on a plate to keep them warm
8. Serve with honey (and anything else you fancy!), or just eat them plain if you are sugar free
Chard and Sweet Potato Frittata
Breakfast, brunch or dinner -- this colorful meat-free frittata is a 30-minute meal that tastes nutritiously delicious any time.
Hands-On: 30 mins Total: 30 mins Servings: 6
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and finely chopped
½ cup chopped onion
6 ounces Swiss chard, stems finely chopped, leaves thinly sliced
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
Preheat broiler. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg; set aside.
In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato, onion, and chard stems. Cook and stir 4 minutes. Add chard leaves; cook and stir 2 minutes.
Add egg mixture to skillet. Cook over medium heat. As mixture sets, run a spatula round edge of skillet, lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting until almost set (surface will be moist). Sprinkle with cheese.
Place skillet under broiler 4 to 5 inches from the heat. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until top is just set and cheese melts.
Roasted Carrot Green Goddess Salad
Yield: 2 to 4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
This roasted carrot salad is perfect for spring! Caramely, roasted carrots served over butter greens dressing with green goddess. Simple but delish.
● 1 pound carrots, peeled
● 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
● ¼ teaspoon salt
● ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
● ½ teaspoon garlic powder
● 6 cups butter lettuce greens, or whatever greens you have
GREEN GODDESS DRESSING
● 1/2 avocado
● 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt I like full fat or 2%
● 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
● 2 garlic cloves
● 1/3 cup baby arugula or spinach greens
● 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
● 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
● 1 tablespoon snipped chives
● 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
● pinch of salt and pepper
● pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel the carrots and place them on the baking sheet. I like to keep them whole, but it depends on how large they are. If they are really big or thick carrots, slice them in half either lengthwise or width wise. You can also use baby carrots here too!
Drizzle the carrots with the olive oil and toss week. Cover with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Roast the carrots for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
While the carrots are roasting, place the greens in a large bowl or plate. Toss them well with salt and pepper. Make the green goddess dressing and drizzle the greens with it,, lightly tossing. Top with the roasted carrots. Add more green goddess if you’d like and serve.
GREEN GODDESS DRESSING
Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until combined.
Roasted Broccolini with Winey Mushrooms
1 1/2 pounds broccolini (2 large bunches), ends trimmed
4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
1 small sweet onion, finely diced
8 ounces cremini or other mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put the broccolini on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and toss to coat evenly, then spread in a single layer. Roast the broccolini, turning once with tongs, for 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp-tender. If the broccolini stems are not uniform in size, remove thinner ones as they are done. Transfer the broccolini to a platter. (The broccolini can be cooked several hours ahead of time and kept at room temperature.)
In a large (12 inches or wider), deep frying pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until starting to soften. Raise the heat to medium-high, add the mushrooms and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes, until the mushrooms are golden brown. (The mushrooms will release a lot of liquid before reabsorbing it and browning. Be patient, as the flavor is in the browning.) Add the wine and cook for about 2 minutes more, until the pan is dry. Stir in the pepper.
Spoon the mushrooms over the broccolini, then scatter some Parmesan over the top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
KISS Cantaloupe Banana Nice Cream
Time 5 minutes Servings: 2
● 3 frozen bananas
● 3 large slices, or about 1 1/2 cups frozen cantaloupe (rind and seeds removed, of course)
Place all ingredients in Vitamix, food processor or high-speed blender.
Blend until banana and cantaloupe have become smooth and the consistency of nice cream. This took me about 2-3 minutes using my Vitamix; it may take a little while, but it really will turn into amazing nice cream!
Divide into 2 portions (or don’t) and enjoy!
SWISS AND HOT MUSHROOM SALAD
Ready In: 15mins
● 1 large head of lettuce
● ⅓ cup tarragon vinegar
● 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
● 2 garlic cloves, minced
● ⅔ cup olive oil
● salt and pepper
● 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
● ¾ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
● 2 tablespoons butter
● Set salad plates in freezer for at least an hour.
● Blend vinegar, mustard, garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
● Tear lettuce and toss with dressing. Put on cold plates and put cheese on top.
● Saute mushrooms in butter and while hot, spoon over the salad and serve immediately!
Stuffed Swiss chard
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
● 2 bunches swiss chard
● pot of boiling water
For the stuffing
● 1 large bunch of parsley
● 4 medium sized tomatoes
● 2 spring onions
● ¼ onion or small shallot
● pinch of fresh mint leaves
● 1 cup short grain rice
● 1 lemons juiced
● ½ tablespoon tomato concentrate
● ½ tablespoon salt
● ½ tablespoon 7 spice
● ¼ cup of regular olive oil
For the brine
● 1 cup of water + 1 teaspoon of salt
To make the stuffing
Soak the short grain rice in water half an hour before
Finely chop the parsley, tomatoes, mint and onions. Add to a bowl
Add the rice, salt, 7 spice, tomato concentrate, olive oil and the juice of 1 lemon to the bowl and stir well
To assemble the chard leaves
Wash and separate the swiss chard leaves, then blanche in a pot of boiling water for no more than five minutes. Stack onto a plate to cool
Prepare your work area with one tray to roll the chard leaves beside the stuffing and cooking pot
Lay out one swiss chard leaf on the tray and remove the thickest part of the stem. If the leaf is very large you can split it into two longways
Add 1-2 tablespoons of stuffing near the base of the chard leaf. Bring the leaves in from the side and roll upwards firmly. Adjust the mixture amount depending on the size of the leaf
Stack the rolled chard leaves neatly in the pot in layers If you have too much liquid in the mixture drain some onto the stacked leaves using a fine sieve
Leave around 10cm clear at the top of the pot as the chard leaves will expand when cooked
To make the brine
When you finish stacking the pot, add half a tablespoon each of salt and 7 spice to 1 cup of water to cover
Press down the chard leaves with a sturdy plate or lid one size smaller than your pot. Pour on the brine and turn the heat on to medium high
After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to low and remove the plate/lid. Taste the brine that has come to the surface and adjust the salt/lemon levels as necessary. Cook for another 45 minutes on the lowest heat setting.
Taste one chard roll before you turn the heat off to make sure the rice is cooked properly
BUTTER GARLIC ROASTED CARROTS AND BROCCOLINI
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES SERVINGS: 4
Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots and Broccolini, a quick and easy healthy side dish that is gorgeous-looking, super healthy, and absolutely delicious!
1 lbs carrots
1 lbs broccolini
2 Tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, minced - (20g)
Preheat oven to 400 F (200°C).
Wash carrots and broccolini well and dry with a kitchen towel.
Cut thick carrots lengthwise and leave thin ones as is. Pieces should not be thicker than your thumb.
In a small saucepan, melt butter and once melted, add minced garlic, sea salt, and pepper and mix until well combined.
Place carrots in one layer on a baking sheet and brush with half the garlic butter. Then place in the oven for 10 minutes.
In the meantime, cut any broccolini with thick stems in half lengthwise and then add to the remaining garlic butter and use your hands to work all the garlic butter into the broccolini.
Remove the carrots from the oven and add the broccolini to it in one layer, then return into the oven for a further 25 minutes.
Apple and cantaloupe smoothie with apples
1/2 c of skim milk 1/4 c thickened cream 2 apples, cut into bite size, divide 10-16 cubes cantaloupe
Put 1 and 1/2 apples, cantaloupe, milk and thickened cream into Nutri Bullet, blend until smooth and combined. Pour into glasses and chill in fridge for 30 minutes or longer if you really like it cooler. Just before serving add some cut pieces of apple and add into glasses. Enjoy!!!!